Wednesday 11 May 2011

E&E Brief

In the first E&E tutorial we discussed the benefit of creating a business. Every company sets out to make money from a service or product. The key is finding a niche within the market that can be exploited to limit competition and make a profit. The aim of the project was to amalgamate the different courses together allowing students with different abilities and skills to come up with a valid project plan that could potentially grow into a viable business.

Initially we discussed our hobbies and our skills in the hope of finding a common ground where we could use those hobbies and skills to generate business ideas. I am an artistic person with a range of skills and techniques. I am also proficient in many software packages like photoshop and maya. I wanted to use my artistic skills and produce artwork that could be sold for a profit.

My worry for this particular unit was that I would not be able to utilise my skills effectively and augment my knowledge within my chosen field. In the future I wish to work in the film or gaming industry. With this in mind I wanted to create images that I could use in my portfolio or showreel. Linea, the course leader agreed stating that she was more concerned with students creating a good body of work rather than doing something just to fulfill the brief.
I suggested creating a business that created card or postcard designs. This would be a good way to exploit my artistic skills.


It was up to students to collaborate together and form a team which possessed different skills from different courses and come up with a business concept. This could be for providing a service or making a physical product. The idea was to pitch our ideas to the tutors who will inform us whether or not the idea is viable or not. However, the brief quite clearly states that the product or business needs to make some kind of profit during the course of the term. This will be the most challenging feature.


No comments:

Post a Comment